Monday, March 23, 2009

Catastrophic Cooking With Caryn

Yesterday I made burritos.  I started with 1/2 lb of ground beef.  I rarely cook with the stuff, and maybe this is why.  After browning, I added what I thought was taco seasoning (Costco size) and to my surprise and utter dismay cinnamon was applied (Costco size). I knew better than to try to wash the ground beef  and reuse, because this is not the first time I have made the mistake and it didn't clean out the taste.  Next I warmed up some green chilies in the microwave.  I would add half the chilies to the black beans and use the rest as garnish.  Taking them out of the microwave, I turned and it just flew out of my...chilies on the cupboards, floor and across my legs.  I almost (should've) gave up, but no.  I started in on the tortillas.  These are special delectable Costco tortillas.  Fortunately, I had a lot of them.  After cooking about 5 of these lovely rounds, I smelled something burning.  Funny??  Nothing seems to be burning.  Except, wait,  I have placed the plate with cooked tortillas on the adjacent, never turned off, burner.  Did you know that a plate, when it gets to a certain degree will explode?  I learned this yesterday cooking burritos.     

9 comments:

Rachel said...

"I knew better than to try to wash the ground beef and reuse, because this is not the first time I have made the mistake and it didn't clean out the taste"

Soooo, you've fed us cinamon flavoured beef before??? I've never noticed...it prolly makes it super deliciouse :)

Stacie S-H said...

O dear! That is a very funny post. Lol! Kudos to you for not giving up even when there was food flying & little explosions. Holy moly. What an adventure!

Cindy Jensen said...

Wow, i think you were not supposed to cook yesterday....the cooking gremlins were out to get you!!!

Unknown said...

Just know that you are not alone. Some of us are to ashamed to even bring it up. *hugs*

Cindy Jensen said...

So, I am not sure why I am leaving this here but here is Katie's address you were asking for:

1849 North 200 West #241
provo, UT 84604

Have a wonderful day.

Kelly Lee said...

That is CRAZY! It's good to know I'm not alone . . .

cstapp said...

I thought cinnamon flavored meat would be kind of exotic.

Anyway, you made a nice recovery and we had a very delightsome meal!

~Stappsters~ said...

When are you going to post Lucky Dog?

Keri said...

That is probably the greatest dinner time story I have heard in a LONG time!