Sunday, September 20, 2009

Change is Humbling

I remember the first week I stood in front of the 3-11 year old singers at church.. They were extremely intimidating. Their little patent leather shoes shining in my eyes. An older young lady glaring me down. Older boys slouching and scowling. One girl lifted the dress over her head and caught me off guard. Hmmm...Maybe if I try that I could get their attention. I thought better and just started wearing strange costumes and using dramatic accents.

A year and a half later and I feel comfortable making a fool of myself in front of 30 some odd young children. Kids are my passion. They young ones like to wrap their arms around my leg and tell me family secrets. I especially love this part. We have cried together (mostly the sunbeams when they don't get called to help). The 9-11 year old boys have gained so much self-confidence by pointing out every one of my minute flaws. (Believe it or not, the teachers can sometimes be the hardest to control. I have perfected ways to bring them down.)

In a few weeks we will perform our years work for the parents! It will be my last moment with these little friends. A wonderful way to go out! Looking forward to the change and the humility (or humiliation) I will experience in my new life experience.


1 comment:

cstapp said...

You make me want to sing!