Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hypermiling

I have become a bit of a hypermiler for the past few months. Not up to 100 mpg, like the more serious and somewhat dangerous hypermilers, but I have improved my mpg. Here are the hypermiling tips out there on the www--don't use your breaks (especially when turning), use your gas pedal only when necessary and very lightly, avoid stopping at all, empty out your car of excess weight (went to Weight Watchers for this), turn off the AC, close the windows (aerodynamicy). It's actually kind of fun. I brought my mpg up about 5mpg. So with a 20 gallon tank, that means I can go 100 more miles than before. Unless, somebody drives my car and disturbs the mpg. "Hey, I've been working so hard, fellow drivers have been honking and staring me down on the road and now my MPG work is ruined, ruined I say!"

Or get this one, someone takes the car and parks it for 12 hours with the keys locked in the car with the motor running all day!!!! THAt'S 0 MPG!!! NADA! I'M speaking Spanish HERE and WE just filled the car up with gas LAST NIGHT!!!!! There is joy in every somthing or other when there's love at home. Ahh, I feel much better. Thanks for listening.

5 comments:

Karilynn said...

My mpg was horrible for a while on my little ol' toyota camry. I was super annoyed and couldnt' figure out what the problem was. Then... I went and got the oil changed for the first time in like A YEAR and I can go a good 120 more miles on my 15 gallon tank. Oops... I guess there's a reason why cars need to be MAINTAINED!!! Lesson learned! ;o)

April said...

So...who was it?!

~Stappsters~ said...

I'll never tell, but she has red hair and has been to your house in Idaho!

MJH said...

Ah Man. That story reminded me of the time we left on the headlights at Marriots while we had a carefree frolic in the park.
That's the pits! Marcia

Stacie S-H said...

i just ran the fan in my car (98 toyotal corolla) and no ac..was a little sweaty but instead of 100 miles for a 1/4th tank of gas, I got about 125. Thats pretty sweet. An extra 100 miles for a full tank!