Thursday, June 12, 2008

Choco, Popco & Tomato

Having had the flu here for a few days and coming back to my appetite, I thought I would post a delicious blog of essentials.

Chocolate In my past, any chocolaty temptation was a go. Now, unless I am really desperate, it has to be dark all the way. Although quite popular among some consumer's, Milk leaves a sugary, pasty after-taste. While Dark leaves you marveling in a long-lasting, bitter-sweet and lovely sensation. You really only need one to two quality choc-chips (I'm particular about brands) every half hour to feel like you been to the all-day-choco-rama! Caution: Out of control choco-chipping can be habit forming. Keep a year supply just in case.

Popcorn, which I happen to be eating right now. Everybody who knows me, can tell you about my popcorn and my machine. The machine is a relic, 1979-80?, JCPenney, two toned, electric, hot-air popper. The machine was owed by my brother at BYU and handed down to me in 1982. It has never failed me and has popped over 30 billion kernels. What? You don't have a kernelometer? I wish I had a car as faithful as my p-machine. Oh well, now for the p-corn commentary. I know most of you love your p-corn oozing with butter and salt. Some of you are even risky enough to try other flavors. I found one that I've been stuck on for years. This recipe is very simple, yet cannot be made by most people (except Rebekah). Curtis does not attempt it. It takes white kernels, popped in the old machine (I cannot lend this out), drizzled olive oil (this is the hard part, for the drizzle must be precise), granulated garlic (I went through a 26oz bottle of this in 6-8 months), and coarse sea salts (from Spain). I have made many friends, but no lovers (Curtis can't smell it anymore) making and eating garlic popcorn. This popcorn goes well with Canasta and Nertz!

Tomato There is no veg...fruit..veg? whatever as wonderful as the tomato. As I peak out my window over my computer, I can see the tomatoes have reddened since I started this entry. A sign that I should quit, but do read about the tomato. It is growing out there in every form and size. It will be a juicy tangy snack, lovely roasted salsa and to-die-for pasta sauce (ours are salmonella free), sandwiches, salads....Do you not agree, ketchup lovers, that the tomato is incomparably the fruit? veg..um fruit of aah and wonder?

You may leave your food opinions. Off to pick a tomato!



7 comments:

Cecily Jane said...

I'm with you on the tomatoes, Caryn. I'm convinced that a world without tomatoes would be a dark and abysmal place.

April said...

Can I come hang out and eat all three of these delectables at your house sometime? Yum!

We have an old school popcorn maker too and we love it. Garlic popcorn! I have to try it!

April said...

Can I come hang out and eat all three of these delectables at your house sometime? Yum!

We have an old school popcorn maker too and we love it. Garlic popcorn! I have to try it!

~Stappsters~ said...

YES!!! How about late July!!! Can't wait. Do you know how to play nertz April?

April said...

I don't know how to play Nertz, I think it's about time I learned! SEE YOU SOON!

Anonymous said...

Man, oh man! What I would give for some fresh California produce right now! Everything in Utah is imported and not nearly as good.

~Stappsters~ said...

I ate a basil, tomato, onion, parsley salad tonight (all from the garden) with some machengo cheese, balsamic vin. and olive oil. Live is so so good!